Thursday, July 3, 2008

A (scottish) penny for thoughts


Last day in America for 7 weeks. Mariah woke me up this morning to tell the that this was the last time I'd be waking up in our house. Sneakily, I have conveniently scheduled this trip to keep me occupied during moving day (July 30th), so I will be living in a new place upon my return. This will be a mildly disconcerting experience (though I'm glad to get out of carrying boxes). Today, to temper my excitement, I'm thinking about how much I will miss Mariah and Rob, and the kittens of course. Not having the cats tramps on my head in the morning will be nice. Both Rob and Mariah will be working like crazy during my trip, so hopefully they won't even notice I'm gone. Regardless, I'll miss weekend breakfasts, video gaming, hugs and kisses, and homemade mead. I wish I could pack Rob and Marr in my suitcase, but I doubt that would pass customs.

I'm also not packing my keys. Obviously, I won't need them; I won't be driving for seven weeks either, adding another danger on the American highway upon my return. My cellphone will be dormant (Rob would argue that it always is "dormant" since it usually lacks a charge). That, at least, I won't miss.

The weather in Edinburgh is a balmy 63 degrees and raining. Ahh, its looking to be a great summer.



Scottish word/slang of the day
  • Bampot-- "That Aunt of hers though, what a loon. That bampot never wore matching socks in her life; the mismatched green and yellow stockings flitting in and out of sight beneath her dress were likely to cause a seizure if you watched them for too long."
This word was impossible to get through context clues, and I finally had to ask someone. A bampot is a term used, often affectionately, to call someone crazy, foolish, or mildly off kilter. I have no idea where this word might derive from. In Aberdeen, they use "bam" to refer to a non-educated deliquent, so maybe a bampot is a round container full of that.

No comments: