
The following is more stream of consciousness than previous posts as it is incredibly late (2am) when I write this.
Fine Scotch weather today. Covered Mrs. Dalloway in class, embracing the intricacies of Woolf's way of dealing with time in the novel. Also, I ate at the place where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter (no, not the Elephant & Bagel, that was a cover up -- I mean the King Buffet where she composed much of her work). Afterwards, I went with a few friends to the Holyrood Palace and took photos. Finally, I fulfilled my karma. Mariah and Rob are moving our apartment at the end of July, but I helped Vasiliki's friend move her flat to the Royal Mile. It was quite strenuous, but we had dinner and drinks post-moving. There are only a few things that can bond you to a person immediately -- moving their stuff from one place to another being one of them. We had wonderful conversation, and I think my "wit" is apparently funny here, or they were too polite to say otherwise. Vasiliki and her friend are from Greece, the two flat mates at the new apartment were Scotch and Irish, and Julie was from western Scotland. All were charming and intelligent. The people I've met here have been very warm thus far (though the strangers in the streets refuse to look at you). Once I get to know them, I feel like I have a very real connection with them. It rained again today, only this time it happened while the sun was shining, and big droplets caught the sunshine, sparkling as they fell. It made me wish I had the power to slow down time as Woolf does in her novels so as to appreciate it all the more.
Today, I described Edinburgh today as "a small city, but a deep city." It seemed apt. The
multiple levels, make it complicated to navigate, but infinitely interesting as there are so many approaches that one might take if inclined.No stars tonight. Too cloudy. I wish I could see them.
Scottish word/slang of the day
brae -- "Twas a brae brichte nichte tonigcht"
No comments:
Post a Comment